If cost is the sole factor when deciding the cremation of a loved one in Adelaide, then “Direct Cremation” in may be right for you.
Instead of a traditional funeral, there are no family or friends present. A staff member from a funeral home (not necessarily a Funeral Director) will collect the deceased person, hold the body at their premises, complete the necessary documentation and arrange transfer for cremation.
There is a lot to be said for this minimalist option, not least cost. It is cheaper mainly because there is less for a funeral home to do, with less staff.
But if you knew what was happening behind the scenes, you may wish to reconsider this option.
What Happens Behind The Scenes?
In recent years, there has been a rise in popularity in Australia for ‘Direct Cremation’ with consumers wanting the cheapest option possible for the cremation of the body.
However, despite some Adelaide Funeral Directors advertising low cost cremations, the public would be “horrified” if they knew some of the things that happen behind the scenes when they request a ‘Direct Cremation”.
In a recent report by Four Corners (First posted 23 September 2019), one large funeral company in Victoria was found to be driving bodies interstate to cut costs, often without the families knowledge.
Sadly, this is not an uncommon practice. In order to increase funeral volumes and profits, some Funeral Directors in Adelaide are promoting ‘Direct Cremation’, as a race to the bottom, for families who can’t afford a dignified funeral.
They usually take place outside of peak hours, when there is less demand at the crematorium. It can involve your love one being placed in the back of an ‘unmarked’ van, with multiple other bodies, for transfer to cremation.
Cremation Adelaide made easy
A funeral is not all about the person who died. It is for those left behind to say goodbye and short cutting this by choosing ‘Direct Cremation’, will not help.
If you don’t want a traditional funeral in Adelaide, but aren’t entirely comfortable with a direct cremation, some Funeral Directors offer a half-way house.
There is a common misconception that when you request a ‘Direct Cremation’ you cannot have family members is attendance. This couldn’t be further from the truth.
Many of our member Funeral Directors in Adelaide, South Australia allow immediate family members to attend the cremation and say a few words in the chapel before the committal.
However, family members may not get any say in the timing or location of the cremation.
If you are still worried about the cost, but want to ensure that your loved one receives the best personal care and attention, then a ‘Simple Cremation’ is what you need.
What is a Simple Cremation?
A simple cremation is a service offered by a select number of funeral directors throughout Adelaide, South Australia. The service is provided without the typical offerings of flowers, fancy coffins and the like.
Just the bare basics in order to ensure your loved one still gets a dignified farewell without the cost of a traditional funeral service.
A simple cremation can start from $3,500.
Find Funeral Directors in Adelaide
Before you select a Funeral Director in Adelaide, South Australia and surrounding areas, it’s important to ask the following questions.
You want to make sure that your loved one is cared for with respect and dignity by funeral directors that you can trust.
- Where and how will they care for your loved one before cremation?
- Which crematorium will they transfer your loved one for cremation?
- Can family members attend the crematorium?
If immediate family members wish to attend the crematorium for ONE LAST GOODBYE, speak to the funeral director to see what is possible. If they are inflexible choose another one – you are the client.
Request free quotes from local funeral directors and get an estimate of cremation costs. It’s easy. Give it a try!
Professional funeral services
When it comes to funerals, shopping around is still the best way to ensure you’re being taken care of.
It’s a good idea to call eziFunerals member Funeral Directors to enquire about the prices for direct or simple cremation.
If you don’t want to speak to a funeral director direct, before getting quotes we can help.
eziFunerals has an online process that helps you request quotes and compare prices before selecting a funeral director.
Here are four things that you should pay special attention to when shopping for a cremation provider in Adelaide, South Australia and surrounding areas.
1. Ask who owns the Funeral business
Australian consumers are not aware that the majority of local funeral director businesses in Adelaide are owned by big funeral chains trading on the Australian Stock Exchange.
The names on signs outside the funeral homes are well known, but revenues and profits from them flow to corporate shareholders, not consumers.
2. Ask for a price list
You’d think this would be voluntarily given to you, but in many cases, you’re going to have to ask for it. Some funeral homes are resistant to disclosing prices because they like to view each funeral as a unique case.
3. Know what you’re getting
Find out exactly what is included in certain packages vs. what is being advertised. Ask for an itemised list so you can clearly see differences.
4. Watch for hidden fees
Like any other industry, some hidden fees may in the fine print of your agreement.
Some Adelaide funeral directors may bill you separately for things like a death certificate and cremation permits, since these are third-party services.
Others may try to up-sell certain options to you based on what they think every funeral should have.
Find a Funeral Director Adelaide, SA
Funeral Directors Glenelg and Brighton
- Brighton, Darlington, Glenelg, Glenelg North, Glenelg South, Glengowrie
- Hallett Cove, Hove, Kingston Park, Marino, Novar Gardens, O’Halloran Hill
- Seacliff, Sheidow Park, Somerton Park, South Brighton, Sturt
Funeral Directors Adelaide Hills
- Aldgate, Athelstone, Balhannah, Birdwood, Bridgewater, Crafers
- Cudlee Creek, Gumeracha, Hahndorf, Kanmantoo, Kersbrook, Littlehampton
- Lobethal, Macclesfield, Magill, Meadows, Mount Barker, Mount Lofty
- Mount Torrens, Mylor, Nairne, Norton Summit, Oakbank, Stirling
- Uraidla, Verdun, Woodside
Funeral Directors Outer South Adelaide
- Aberfoyle Park, Ashbourne, Belair, Blackwood, Clarendon, Coromandel Valley
- Hawthorndene, Morphett Vale, Old Reynella, Reynella, Woodcroft
Funeral Directors Port Adelaide Area
- Albert Park, Alberton, Birkenhead, Cheltenham, Exeter, Hendon, Largs Bay
- Largs North, North Haven, Pennington, Port Adelaide, Queenstown, Rosewater
- Royal Park, Semaphore, Taperoo, West Lakes, West Lakes Shore, Wingfield
Funeral Directors Outer North East Adelaide
- Bolivar, Brahma Lodge, Craigmore, Davoren Park, Elizabeth, Golden Grove
- Highbury, Hope Valley, Ingle Farm, Mawson Lakes, Modbury, Para Hills
- Para Vista, Parafield, Paralowie, Pooraka, Redwood Park, Ridgehaven, Salisbury
- Smithfield, St Agnes, Surrey Downs, Tea Tree Gully, Valley View, Virginia
Funeral Directors Outer North Adelaide
Funeral Directors City of Adelaide
Funeral Directors Inner North Adelaide
- Allenby Gardens, Angle Park, Athol Park, Beverley, Blair Athol, Cavan
- Clearview, Collinswood, Croydon, Croydon Park, Dudley Park, Ferryden Park
- Gepps Cross, Gilberton, Gilles Plains, Hampstead Gardens, Hillcrest, Holden Hill
- Kilburn, Kilkenny, Klemzig, Mansfield Park, Northgate, Oakden
- Ovingham, Prospect, Regency Park, Sefton Park, Walkerville, Woodville
- Woodville Gardens, Woodville North, Woodville South
Funeral Directors Inner South Adelaide
- Ascot Park, Bedford Park, Camden Park, Clapham, Clarence Gardens, Clarence Park
- Clovelly Park, Colonel Light Gardens, Cumberland Park, Daw Park Eastwood
- Edwardstown, Everard Park, Forestville, Frewville, Fullarton, Glen Osmond
- Glenunga, Goodwood, Hawthorn, Highgate, Hyde Park, Kingswood
- Kurralta Park, Malvern, Marion, Millswood, Mitcham, Mitchell Park
- Oaklands Park, Parkside, Pasadena, Plympton, South Plympton, Springfield
- Torrens Park, Unley, Warradale
Funeral Directors Inner East Adelaide
- Beulah Park, Burnside, Campbelltown, Dernancourt, Dulwich, Erindale
- Evandale, Felixstow, Firle, Glenside, Glynde, Hackney, Hazelwood Park
- Hectorville, Kensington, Kensington Gardens, Kent Town, Leabrook, Linden Park
- Marden, Marryatville, Maylands, Newton, Norwood, Paradise
- Rose Park, Rostrevor, Royston Park, St Morris, St Peters, Stepney
- Stonyfell, Toorak Gardens, Tranmere, Tusmore, Waterfall Gully
Funeral Directors Inner West Adelaide
- Adelaide Airport, Bowden, Brompton, Brooklyn Park, Findon, Flinders Park
- Fulham, Grange, Henley Beach, Henley Beach South, Hilton, Hindmarsh
- Kidman Park, Lockleys, Marleston, Mile End, Mile End South, Richmond
- Seaton, Thebarton, Torrensville, Welland, West Beach, West Richmond
24/7 Funeral support and assistance
Need eziFunerals assistance? eziFunerals supports individuals and families cope with end of life decisions, death and funerals. We are an independent, Australian-owned and operated company, and are not a subsidiary of any other corporation. We are not part of any other funeral company. No pressure sales. No hidden fees. No commissions. Give us a call on 1300 236 402.