If cost is the sole factor when deciding the cremation of a loved one in Sydney, then “Direct Cremation” may be right for you.
Instead of a traditional funeral, there are no family or friends present. A staff member from a funeral home (not necessarily a Funeral Director) will collect the deceased person, hold the body at their premises, complete the necessary documentation and arrange transfer for cremation.
There is a lot to be said for this minimalist option, not least cost. It is cheaper mainly because there is less for a funeral home to do, with less staff.
But if you knew what was happening behind the scenes, you may wish to reconsider this option.
What Happens Behind The Scenes?
In recent years, there has been a rise in popularity in Australia for ‘Direct Cremation’ with consumers wanting the cheapest option possible for the cremation of the body.
However, despite some Sydney Funeral Directors advertising low cost cremations, the public would be “horrified” if they knew some of the things that happen behind the scenes when they request a ‘Direct Cremation”.
In a recent report by Four Corners (First posted 23 September 2019), one large funeral company in Victoria was found to be driving bodies interstate to cut costs, often without the families knowledge.
Sadly, this is not an uncommon practice. In order to increase funeral volumes and profits, some Funeral Directors in Sydney are promoting ‘Direct Cremation’, as a race to the bottom, for families who can’t afford a dignified funeral.
They usually take place outside of peak hours, when there is less demand at the crematorium. It can involve your love one being placed in the back of an ‘unmarked’ van, with multiple other bodies, for transfer to cremation.
eziFunerals provides cremation service support across Sydney
A funeral is not all about the person who died. It is for those left behind to say goodbye and short cutting this by choosing ‘Direct Cremation’, will not help.
If you don’t want a traditional funeral in Sydney, but aren’t entirely comfortable with a direct cremation, some Funeral Directors offer a half-way house.
There is a common misconception that when you request a ‘Direct Cremation’ you cannot have family members is attendance. This couldn’t be further from the truth.
Many of our member Funeral Directors in Sydney, New South Wales allow immediate family members to attend the cremation and say a few words in the chapel before the committal.
However, family members may not get any say in the timing or location of the cremation.
If you are still worried about the cost, but want to ensure that your loved one receives the best personal care and attention, then a ‘Simple Cremation’ is what you need.
What is a Simple Cremation?
A simple cremation is a service offered by a select number of funeral directors throughout Sydney, New South Wales. The service is provided without the typical offerings of flowers, fancy coffins and the like.
Just the bare basics in order to ensure your loved one still gets a dignified farewell without the cost of a traditional funeral service.
A simple cremation can start from $3,500.
eziFunerals supports Independent Funeral Directors across all areas of Sydney
Before you select a Funeral Director in Sydney, New South Wales and surrounding areas, it’s important to ask the following questions.
You want to make sure that your loved one is cared for with respect and dignity by funeral directors that you can trust.
- Where and how will they care for your loved one before cremation?
- Which crematorium will they transfer your loved one for cremation?
- Can family members attend the crematorium?
If immediate family members wish to attend the crematorium for ONE LAST GOODBYE, speak to the funeral director to see what is possible. If they are inflexible choose another one – you are the client.
Request free quotes from local funeral directors and get an estimate of cremation costs. It’s easy. Give it a try!
Professional funeral services by eziFunerals members
When it comes to funerals, shopping around is still the best way to ensure you’re being taken care of.
It’s a good idea to call eziFunerals member Funeral Directors to enquire about the prices for direct or simple cremation.
If you don’t want to speak to a funeral director direct, before getting quotes we can help.
eziFunerals has an online process that helps you request quotes and compare prices before selecting a funeral director.
Here are four things that you should pay special attention to when shopping for a cremation provider in Sydney, New South Wales and surrounding areas.
1. Ask who owns the Funeral business
Australian consumers are not aware that the majority of local funeral director businesses in Sydney are owned by big funeral chains trading on the Australian Stock Exchange.
The names on signs outside the funeral homes are well known, but revenues and profits from them flow to corporate shareholders, not consumers.
2. Ask for a price list
You’d think this would be voluntarily given to you, but in many cases, you’re going to have to ask for it. Some funeral homes are resistant to disclosing prices because they like to view each funeral as a unique case.
3. Know what you’re getting
Find out exactly what is included in certain packages vs. what is being advertised. Ask for an itemised list so you can clearly see differences.
4. Watch for hidden fees
Like any other industry, some hidden fees may in the fine print of your agreement.
Some Sydney funeral directors may bill you separately for things like a death certificate and cremation permits, since these are third-party services.
Others may try to up-sell certain options to you based on what they think every funeral should have.
Find A Funeral Director near you
Compare funeral director costs for funeral services, burials, cheap cremations in Sydney. Our experienced funeral directors will act on your request for cremations and burials in Sydney. We have the best funeral directors of your area.
FUNERAL DIRECTORS EASTERN SUBURBS
- Banksmeadow, Bondi, Bondi Beach, Bondi Junction, Botany
- Bronte, Chifley, Clovelly, Coogee, Coogee Beach, Darling Point
- Double Bay, Dover Heights, Eastgardens, Eastlakes, Edgecliff, Kensington
- Kingsford, Matraville, Moore Park, North Bondi, Paddington, Pagewood
- Randwick, Rose Bay, Rose Bay North, Vaucluse, Waterloo, Watsons Bay
- Waverley, Woollahra, Zetland
FUNERAL DIRECTORS SOUTH-EASTERN SYDNEY
FUNERAL DIRECTORS NORTHERN SUBURBS
- Beecroft, Carlingford, Cheltenham, Cherrybrook, Denistone, Denistone East
- Denistone West, Dundas, Dundas Valley, East Ryde, Eastwood, Epping
- Ermington, Gladesville, Henley, Hunters Hill, Huntleys Cove, Huntleys Point
- Macquarie Park, Marsfield, Meadowbank, Melrose Park, North Epping, North Ryde
- Normanhurst, Pennant Hills, Putney, Ryde, Telopea, Tennyson Point
- Thornleigh, West Pennant Hills, West Ryde, Westleigh, Woolwich
FUNERAL DIRECTORS NORTH SHORE
- East Killara, East Lindfield, Gordon, Hornsby, Killara, Lindfield
- Mount Kuring-gai, Pymble, Roseville, Roseville Chase, St Ives, South Turramurra
- Turramurra, Wahroonga, Waitara, Warrawee, West Pymble
- Artarmon, Cammeray, Castle Cove, Castlecrag, Chatswood, Chatswood West
- Cremorne, Cremorne Point, Crows Nest, Greenwich, Kirribilli, Lane Cove
- Lane Cove West, Lavender Bay, Linley Point, Longueville, McMahons Point
- Middle Cove Milsons Point, Mosman, Naremburn, Neutral Bay, North Sydney
- Northbridge, Northwood, Riverview, St Leonards, Waverton, Willoughby
- Willoughby North, Wollstonecraft, Woolwich
FUNERAL DIRECTORS NORTHERN BEACHES
- Manly, Balgowlah, Balgowlah Heights, Clontarf, Fairlight, Manly, Seaforth
- Warringah, Allambie, Allambie Heights, Beacon Hill, Belrose, Brookvale, Collaroy
- Collaroy Plateau, Cromer, Curl Curl, Davidson, Dee Why, Forestville
- Frenchs Forest, Freshwater, Killarney Heights, Manly Vale, Narrabeen, Narraweena
- North Balgowlah, North Curl Curl, North Manly, Oxford Falls, Queenscliff, Terrey Hills
- Pittwater, Avalon, Bayview, Bilgola Plateau, Church Point, Clareville, Elanora
- Ingleside, Newport, North Narrabeen, Mona Vale, Palm Beach, Warriewood
- Whale Beach
FUNERAL DIRECTORS HILLS DISTRICT
- Baulkham Hills, Beaumont Hills, Bella Vista, Carlingford, Castle Hill, Cherrybrook
- Dural, Galston, Glenhaven, Glenorie, Glenwood, Kellyville
- Kellyville Ridge, Kenthurst, Kings Langley, North Rocks, Pennant Hills, Quakers Hill
- Round Corner, Rouse Hill, Seven Hills, Stanhope Gardens, Thompsons Corner, The Ponds
- West Pennant Hills, Winston Hills
FUNERAL DIRECTORS FOREST DISTRICT
- Belrose, Davidson, Duffys Forest, Frenchs Forest, Forestville, Killarney Heights
- Oxford Falls, Terrey Hills
FUNERAL DIRECTORS CANTERBURY-BANKSTOWN
- Ashbury, Bass Hill, Belfield, Belmore, Beverly Hills, Birrong
- Canterbury, Campsie, Chester Hill, Chullora, Clemton Park, Condell Park
- Croydon Park, Earlwood, Georges Hall, Greenacre, Hurlstone Park, Kingsgrove
- Lakemba, Lansdowne, Leightonfield, Milperra, Mount Lewis, Narwee
- Padstow, Padstow Heights, Panania, Picnic Point, Potts Hill, Punchbowl
- Regents Park, Revesby, Revesby Heights, Riverwood, Roselands, Sefton
- Undercliffe, Villawood, Wiley Park, Yagoona
FUNERAL DIRECTORS AUBURN COUNCIL
FUNERAL DIRECTORS HILLS SHIRE
- Annangrove, Baulkham Hills, Beaumont Hills, Bella Vista, Box Hill, Carlingford
- Castle Hill, Cattai, Dural, Glenhaven, Glenorie, Kellyville
- Kenthurst, Leets Vale, Lower Portland, Maraylya, Maroota, Middle Dural
- Nelson, Northmead, North Parramatta, North Rocks, Oatlands, Rouse Hill
- Sackville North, South Maroota, West Pennant Hills, Wisemans Ferry
FUNERAL DIRECTORS BLACKTOWN
- Acacia Gardens, Arndell Park, Bidwill, Blackett, Blacktown, Colebee
- Dean Park, Dharruk, Doonside, Eastern Creek, Emerton, Glendenning
- Glenwood, Hassall Grove, Hebersham, Huntingwood, Kellyville Ridge, Kings Langley
- Kings Park, Lalor Park, Lethbridge Park, Marayong, Marsden Park, Minchinbury
- Mount Druitt, Oakhurst, Parklea, Plumpton, Prospect, Quakers Hill
- Riverstone, Ropes Crossing, Rouse Hill, Rooty Hill, Schofields, Seven Hills
- Shalvey, Shanes Park, Stanhope Gardens, The Ponds, Toongabbie, Tregear
- Whalan, Willmot, Woodcroft
FUNERAL DIRECTORS CAMDEN COUNCIL
- Bickley Vale, Camden, Catherine Field, Cobbitty, Currans Hill, Elderslie
- Ellis Lane, Grasmere, Harrington Park, Kirkham, Leppington, Mount Annan
- Narellan, Narellan Vale, Oran Park, Smeaton Grange, Spring Farm
FUNERAL DIRECTORS FAIRFIELD
- Abbotsbury, Bonnyrigg, Bossley Park, Cabramatta, Canley Heights, Canley Vale
- Carramar, Cecil Park, Edensor Park, Fairfield, Greenfield Park, Horsley Park
- Lansvale, Mount Pritchard, Old Guildford, Prairiewood, Smithfield, St Johns Park
- Villawood, Wakeley, Wetherill Park, Yennora
FUNERAL DIRECTORS HOLROYD
- Girraween, Granville, Greystanes, Guildford, Fairfield, Holroyd
- Mays Hill, Merrylands, Parramatta, Pemulwuy, Pendle Hill, South Wentworthville
- Toongabbie, Wentworthville, Westmead, Woodpark, Yennor
FUNERAL DIRECTORS PARRAMATTA
- Camellia, Carlingford, Clyde, Constitution Hill, Dundas, Dundas Valley
- Eastwood, Epping, Ermington, Granville, Guildford East, Harris Park
- Kingsdene, Merrylands, Melrose Park, Northmead, Oatlands, Old Toongabbie
- Parramatta, Pendle Hill, Rosehill, Rydalmere, South Granville, Telopea
- Toongabbie, Winston Hills, Wentworthville, Westmead
FUNERAL DIRECTORS PENRITH
- Agnes Banks, Berkshire Park, Cambridge Gardens, Cambridge Park, Castlereagh
- Claremont Meadows, Colyton, Cranebrook, Dunheved, Emu Heights, Emu Plains
- Erskine Park, Glenmore Park, Jamisontown, Kemps Creek, Kingswood, Kingswood Park
- Leonay, Llandilo, Londonderry, Luddenham, Mount Vernon, Mulgoa
- Orchard Hills, Oxley Park, Penrith, Regentville, St Clair, St Marys
- North St Marys, Wallacia, Werrington
FUNERAL DIRECTORS LIVERPOOL
- Ashcroft, Austral, Badgerys Creek, Bringelly, Busby, Cartwright
- Casula, Cecil Hills, Chipping Norton, Denham Court, Edmondson Park, Glenfield
- Green Valley, Greendale, Hammondville, Heckenberg, Hinchinbrook, Holsworthy
- Horningsea Park, Hoxton Park, Kemps Creek, Leppington, Liverpool, Lurnea
- Middleton Grange, Miller, Moorebank, Pleasure Point, Prestons, Rossmore
- Sadleir, Voyager Point, Warwick Farm, Wattle Grove, West Hoxton
FUNERAL DIRECTORS CAMPBELLTOWN
- Airds, Ambarvale, Blair Athol, Blairmount, Bow, Bowing
- Bradbury, Campbelltown, Claymore, Denham Court, Eagle Vale, Englorie Park
- Eschol Park, Gilead, Glen Alpine, Glenfield, Ingleburn, Kearns
- Kentlyn, Leumeah, Long Point, Macquarie Fields, Macquarie Links, Menangle Park
- Minto, Minto Heights, Raby, Rosemeadow, Ruse, St Andrews
- St Helens Park, Varroville, Wedderburn, Woodbine
24/7 eziFunerals support and assistance
Need eziFunerals assistance? eziFunerals supports individuals and families cope with end of life decisions, death and funerals. We are an independent, Australian-owned and operated company, and are not a subsidiary of any other corporation. We are not part of any other funeral company. No pressure sales. No hidden fees. No commissions. Give us a call on 1300 236 402.