Few of us think of dealing with death and funerals as a career option. Yet working in the funeral industry can be a fulfilling and rewarding career. The staff employed in funeral homes need to have a variety of skills and a genuine desire to help, guide and support grieving people in their time of need.
A career in the funeral industry offers many different positions that can be challenging but extremely rewarding. Each of these will help you acquire exceptional communication, people skills and creativity. There are many career-path opportunities and a job in the funeral industry can ensure a successful lifetime career that will enable you to have employment mobility.
Let us help you get a job in the funeral industry!
The following is a list of the types of different jobs in the funeral industry.
- Funeral Attendant
- Crematorium Operator
- Funeral Director
- Funeral Director’s Assistant
- Mortuary Assistant
What training do I need?
Employees in the funeral industry need a mature and responsible attitude, given the sensitive situations they deal with. They are generally working with clients who are emotionally vulnerable, so they need excellent communication skills and an understanding of how people deal with grief. Physical strength to lift coffins, a good driving record and a well-groomed appearance are also prerequisites.
Do I need formal qualifications?
It is not essential to have formal qualifications in order to work within the industry; however formal training can help build your skills and your career options. There are a number of nationally recognised qualifications available within the industry.
The training for nationally recognised qualifications can only be delivered by Registered Training Organisations (RTOs). The courses that are available under the National Funeral Services Training Package are:
- Certificate II in Funeral Operations is designed to reflect the role of employees who work under supervision, including mortuary assistant, funeral director’s assistant and funeral escort or driver.
- Certificate III in Cemetery and Crematorium Operations is designed to reflect the role of employees who work relatively autonomously and may coordinate and supervise others, including customer service consultant, sales consultant, administrative officer and crematorium operator.
- Certificate III in Gravedigging, Grounds and Maintenance is designed to reflect the role of employees who work relatively autonomously and may coordinate and supervise others, including
gravedigger and grounds maintenance worker.
- Certificate III in Funeral Operations is designed to reflect the role of employees who work relatively
autonomously and may coordinate and supervise others, including funeral director’s assistant, funeral arranger or conductor, mortuary assistant and customer service consultant.
- Certificate IV in Funeral Services is designed to reflect the role of employees who work autonomously and coordinate and supervise others, including funeral director, cemetery manager and crematorium manager.
- Certificate IV in Embalming is designed to reflect the role of employees working in the field of embalming.
- Diploma of Mortuary Management is designed to reflect the role of employees who work autonomously and manage the work of others, including mortuary manager.
- Diploma of Funeral Services Management is designed for specialised managerial skills to coordinate funeral services operations within a funeral home organisation, mortuary or cemetery and crematoria.
Job Search Facilities
- Seek www.seek.com.au
- My Career www.mycareer.com.au
- Career One www.careerone.com.au
- Australian Job Search www.jobsearch.gov.au
- eziFunerals – www.ezifunerals.com.au
- My Skills – www.myskills.gov.au
- Australian Apprenticeships 13 38 73 – www.australianapprenticeships.gov.au
- Service Industry Skills Council – www.serviceskills.com.au
- Fair Work Online 13 13 94 – www.fairwork.gov.au
Learn more about planning a funeral in Australia
eziFunerals supports individuals and families cope with end of life decisions, death and funerals. We are an independent, Australian-owned and operated company, and are not a subsidiary of any other corporation. We do not conduct funerals and we are not part of any other funeral company.