According to eziFunerals, the number one reason consumers pay too much for a funeral is that they don’t shop around. They will normally use the closest funeral home or the one their family has always used. Neither of these criteria tells you whether you’re getting good value.
When customers do decide to shop around, they are not aware that they are often soliciting quotes from branches of the same company, without their knowledge. Although the names on billboards and advertisements are well known, the revenues and profits from them flow to corporate shareholders, said Peter Erceg, owner and founder, eziFunerals.
‘It pays to do your homework’, Erceg explains. “People are not aware that several funeral businesses may be owned by two parent companies, being InvoCare Limited (ASX: IVC) and Propel Funeral Partners Ltd (ASX:PFP). Between them they currently control over 40% market share nationally (…and growing). So, when looking for a funeral director, the first piece of advice is: “know who you are dealing with and shop around”, he said.
‘Know who owns the funeral home you are dealing with’
‘Too many times, we have seen families pay too much for funerals, by not shopping around. People don’t know that there are a wide variety of costs and options available to them’, he said.
eziFunerals recommend that you ask yourself the following key questions before selecting a funeral director:
- Who owns the funeral home you are considering?
- Are they independent OR are they owned by the big funeral chains (InvoCare and Propel Funeral Partners)?
- Are you soliciting quotes from funeral branches of the same company?
- Does the funeral director work for you and your family or shareholders?
- Have you met or heard about the funeral director in your community?
- Do you know their personal and professional reputation?
- How long have they been serving their community?
- What has been the experience of relatives, friends and neighbours?
If you need a Quick Funeral Quote, you can connect with funeral directors in your area by simply using our easy funeral quote request form.
Learn more about planning a funeral in Australia
eziFunerals supports individuals and families cope with end of life decisions, death and funerals. We are an independent, Australian-owned and operated company, and are not a subsidiary of any other corporation. We are not part of any other funeral company.