In October 2020, the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) announced the launch of a review into costs, pricing and competition within the NSW funeral industry.
Following this extensive review, IPART has released a draft report for public comment. Some of the key finding from the review include:
- The funeral industry currently doesn’t provide consumers with enough information about funeral prices, at a time when they are making decisions under stress and time pressure.
- Only two thirds of funeral providers had any price information on their websites, and less than half publish all the information they are required to.
- There are wide variations in price to navigate, with even a ‘no service no attendance’ simple cremation without a ceremony ranging from less than $2,000 to more than $7,000, and a standard funeral with a service ranging from $5,000 to around $9,000 (not including burial costs).
- Most people in NSW have access to a choice of funeral providers and products and a range of funeral services that meet their needs.
- Most people are satisfied with the funerals they purchase. However, people told us that the process of organising a funeral can be confusing, and that more information would help.
The draft report has made a number of recommendations to help people make choices about organising funerals in NSW. For example:
- Consolidating the information about organising a funeral that is currently spread across multiple government websites and making it easier for consumers to find.
- Developing a consumer guide that helps people compare funeral providers and understand their rights, responsibilities and choices when it comes to organising a funeral.
- Ensuring that funeral providers publish their prices, as legally required, in a prominent position on their website, if they have one.
IPART is seeking feedback on its draft recommendations until 14 May 2021. The Draft Report is available at www.ipart.nsw.gov.au.
eziFunerals supports individuals and families cope with end of life decisions, death and funerals. We are an independent, Australian-owned and operated company. We are not part of any other funeral company.
Our member Funeral Directors operate in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide and Australia wide. They are chosen for their knowledge, quality, service, personalisation and experience. They go above and beyond, and will take the time to support the family.
For more information or to make contact with a trusted Independent funeral director, call eziFunerals on 1300 236 402 or visit www.ezifunerals.com.au.