There is a big push by some funeral companies to tout the benefits of the pre-paid plans in Melbourne, Victoria they sell. They urge customers in Victoria to pay for their own funeral in advance—in order to spare their loved ones the trouble and expense and lock in current prices.
Although these companies will always tell you about the pros of prepaid funeral plans in Melbourne, there are also lots of cons that you should be aware. But don’t just take our word for it!
The recent Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation, and Financial Services Industry (the Royal Commission) raised some serious findings relating to some prepaid finance products.
Choice, Australia’s leading consumer advocacy group, has claimed that some funeral providers are unfairly profiting from Australians who purchase pre-paid plans. “Australians don’t always get the full benefits when it comes to prepaid plans,” Choice’s investigative journalist Saimi Jeong said.
The Australian Securities and Investments Commission’s Moneysmart website also cautions that prepaid funerals can be inflexible and it may not be possible to get your money back once you’ve paid for your funeral, should you change your mind later.
What are the risks of prepaid funerals
The truth is that it is usually not wise to pay ahead in Melbourne, Victoria. No matter how attractive the business makes it sound, there are serious drawbacks to prepaid funerals in Melbourne that companies will not tell you about.
Things you should consider:
- If you cancel, move or change your plan, you may not receive a full refund.
- The money you pay for funeral arrangements now won’t be available for emergencies later.
- Money spent today may not cover future funeral costs, which could result in the use of cheaper products or requests for additional money.
- Family members may not be aware that funeral costs have been paid, and may pay at a different funeral home.
- If you die interstate and your family employs another funeral home there, it may be difficult to get a refund.
- By the time of your death, the funeral home may have a poor reputation, or be out of business entirely.
Are there better options?
There are much safer and better alternatives to prepaid funerals in Melbourne, such as setting up a special bank account, recording your funeral wishes (pre-need planning) and shopping around. These options reduce the risk of losing your money and provide your family with much greater control when the time comes.
Set up a Funeral bank account
According to Moneysmart, the simplest way to pay for your funeral is to save up for it. Set up a term deposit or savings account separate from your everyday bank account. Remember to tell your family and beneficiaries about it so they can use your savings to pay for your funeral. (Don’t nominate a funeral director as a beneficiary).
Record your funeral wishes
With eziFunerals, you can record your funeral wishes in advance by filling out a pre-need planning form. You can then store it in a secure Dashboard. You can also appoint your funeral guardian/s. Most importantly, be sure to tell your family about your plan. Walk them through every detail. Give them copies of your written funeral wishes.
Shop around and get quotes
By comparison shopping, you can make reasonably priced funeral arrangements, without setting aside large sums of money or prepaying anything. eziFunerals helps you get detailed quotes from several multiple homes —and compare prices. You’ll see big price differences for essentially the same goods and services. Visit our list of independent funeral homes, and choose the one you like best.
Your family will have to make choices after you die and you cannot just prepay these choices away.
You and your family will enjoy greater peace of mind, if you just simply plan ahead without the need to pre-pay your funeral up front. By planning your funeral in advance, your family will be more empowered to shop around and make your funeral arrangements much easier. But if you decide to pre-pay your funeral in advance, be very cautious and read the contract.
Find A Funeral Director Near You
Compare funeral director costs for funeral services, burials, cheap cremations in Melbourne, Victoria. Our experienced funeral directors will act on your request for cremations and burials in Melbourne. We have the best funeral directors of your area.
FUNERAL DIRECTORS BAYSIDE
FUNERAL DIRECTORS CARDINIA
- Avonsleigh, Bayles, Beaconsfield, Beenak, Bunyip, Caldermeade
- Cardinia, Catani, Clematis, Cockatoo, Cora Lynn, Dalmore
- Dewhurst, Emerald, Garfield, Gembrook, Guys Hill, Heath Hill
- Iona, Koo Wee Rup, Lang Lang, Maryknoll, Menzies Creek, Modella
- Monomeith, Mount Burnett, Nangana, Nar Nar Goon, Officer, Pakenham
- Rythdale, Tenby Point, Tonimbuk, Toomuc Valley, Tooradin North, Tynong
- Vervale, Yallock, Yannathan
FUNERAL DIRECTORS CASEY
- Berwick, Cannons Creek, Clyde, Cranbourne, Doveton, Endeavour Hills
- Eumemmering, Five Ways, Hallam, Hampton Park, Harkaway, Lynbrook
- Lysterfield South, Narre Warren, Pearcedale, Tooradin, Warneet
FUNERAL DIRECTORS GREATER DANDENONG
FUNERAL DIRECTORS FRANKSTON
FUNERAL DIRECTORS GLEN EIRA
FUNERAL DIRECTORS KINGSTON
- Aspendale, Bonbeach, Braeside, Carrum, Chelsea, Chelsea Heights, Cheltenham
- Clarinda, Clayton South, Dingley Village, Edithvale, Heatherton, Highett
- Mentone, Moorabbin, Mordialloc, Parkdale, Patterson Lakes, Waterways
FUNERAL DIRECTORS MONASH
- Ashwood, Chadstone, Clayton, Glen Waverley, Hughesdale, Huntingdale
- Monash University, Mount Waverley, Mulgrave, Notting Hill, Oakleigh, Wheelers Hill
FUNERAL DIRECTORS MORNINGTON PENINSULA
- Arthurs Seat, Balnarring, Baxter, Bittern, Blairgowrie, Boneo
- Cape Schanck, Crib Point, Dromana, Flinders, Hastings, HMAS Cerberus
- Main Ridge, Merricks, Moorooduc, Mornington, Mount Eliza, Mount Martha
- Point Leo, Portsea, Red Hill, Rosebud, Rye, Safety Beach
- Shoreham, Somers, Somerville, Sorrento, Tootgarook, Tyabb
FUNERAL DIRECTORS STONNINGTON
FUNERAL DIRECTORS BANYULE
- Bellfield, Briar Hill, Bundoora, Eaglemont, Eltham North, Greensborough
- Heidelberg, Ivanhoe, Lower Plenty, Macleod, Montmorency, Rosanna
- St Helena, Viewbank, Watsonia, Yallambie
FUNERAL DIRECTORS DAREBIN
- Alphington, Bundoora, Mt Cooper, Fairfield, Kingsbury, Macleod
- Northcote, Westgarth, Preston, Regent, Reservoir, Thornbury
FUNERAL DIRECTORS HUME
- Attwood, Broadmeadows, Bulla, Campbellfield, Clarkefield, Coolaroo
- Craigieburn, Dallas, Gladstone Park, Greenvale, Jacana, Kalkallo
- Keilor, Meadow Heights, Melbourne Airport, Mickleham, Konagaderra Springs
- Oaklands Park, Roxburgh Park, Somerton, Sunbury, Jacksons Hill
- Goonawarra, Tullamarine, Westmeadows, Wildwood, Yuroke
FUNERAL DIRECTORS MOONEE VALLEY
- Aberfeldie, Airport West, Ascot Vale, Avondale Heights, Essendon, Newmarket
- Keilor East, Kensington, Moonee Ponds, Niddrie, Strathmore, Travancore
FUNERAL DIRECTORS MORELAND
- Brunswick, Moonee Vale, Coburg, Merlynston, Newlands, Fawkner
- Glenroy, Westbreen, Gowanbrae, Hadfield, Oak Park, Pascoe Vale
- Coonans Hill, Tullamarine
FUNERAL DIRECTORS NILLUMBIK
- Bend of Islands, Christmas Hills, Cottles Bridge, Diamond Creek, Doreen
- Eltham ,Greensborough, Hurstbridge, Midhurst, Kinglake, Kangaroo Ground
- Nutfield, Panton Hill, Plenty, Research, Smiths Gully, Rob Roy
- St Andrews, North Warrandyte, Watsons Creek, Wattle Glen, Yan Yean, Yarramba
FUNERAL DIRECTORS WHITTLESEA
- Bundoora, Doreen, Laurimar, Eden Park, Epping, Lalor
- Mernda, Mill Park, South Morang, Thomastown, Wollert, Woodstock
- Yan Yean, Whittlesea
FUNERAL DIRECTORS BOROONDARA
- Ashburton, Balwyn, Balwyn North, Bellevue, Camberwell, Canterbury
- Deepdene, Greythorn, Glen Iris, Glenferrie, Hawthorn, Kew, Surrey Hills
>FUNERAL DIRECTORS KNOX
FUNERAL DIRECTORS MANNINGHAM
FUNERAL DIRECTORS MAROONDAH
FUNERAL DIRECTORS WHITEHORSE
- Blackburn, Bellbird, Blackburn, Box Hill, Burwood, Bennettswood
- Forest Hill, Heatherdale, Houston, Kerrimuir, Laburnum, Mitcham
- Mont Albert, Nunawading, Surrey Hills, Tally Ho, Vermont, Wattle Park
FUNERAL DIRECTORS YARRA RANGES
- Badger Creek, Belgrave, Chirnside Park, Chum Creek, Coldstream, Dixons Creek
- Don Valley, Ferntree Gully Upper, Ferny Creek, Gruyere, Healesville, Hoddles Creek
- Kallista, Kalorama, Kilsyth, Launching Place, Lilydale, Macclesfield
- Menzies Creek, Millgrove, Monbulk, Montrose, Mooroolbark, Mount Dandenong
- Mount Evelyn, Narre Warren East, Olinda, Sassafras, Selby, Seville
- Sherbrooke, Silvan, Tecoma, The Patch, Tremont, Upwey, Wandin
- Warburton, Woori Yallock, Yarra Glen, Yarra Junction, Yellingbo, Yering
FUNERAL DIRECTORS BRIMBANK
- Ardeer, Cairnlea, Calder Park, Deer Park, Delahey, Derrimut, Kealba
- Keilor, Kings Park, St Albans, Sunshine, Sydenham, Taylors Lakes
FUNERAL DIRECTORS HOBSONS BAY
FUNERAL DIRECTORS MARIBYRNONG
- Braybrook, Footscray, Kingsville, Maidstone, Maribyrnong, Seddon
- Tottenham, West Footscray, Yarraville
FUNERAL DIRECTORS MELTON
FUNERAL DIRECTORS WYNDHAM
eziFunerals supports individuals and families cope with end of life decisions, death and funerals. We are an independent, Australian-owned and operated company. We are not part of any other funeral company.
Our member Funeral Directors operate in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide and Australia wide. They are chosen for their knowledge, quality, service, personalisation and experience. They go above and beyond, and will take the time to support the family.
For more information or to make contact with a trusted Independent funeral director, call eziFunerals on 1300 236 402 or visit www.ezifunerals.com.au.