The popularity of prepaid funeral plans has increased in recent years. For many people, prepaying a funeral can save loved ones from having to make many difficult decisions, when the time comes.
However, because of our general reluctance to talk about death and funerals, we are finding that more families have little or no knowledge that a prepaid funeral has been put in place by their loved one. With most funerals now costing between $4,000 – $15,000, not having that awkward conversation about our funeral, can be an expensive mistake to make.
How to find a missing funeral plan?
So, what can you do if you think a loved one may have purchased a prepaid funeral plan, but you can’t find any of the information? eziFunerals might be able to help. The following tips may help you locate a missing funeral plan in Australia.
Check with eziFunerals
eziFunerals is Australia largest online funeral advocacy service. Its aim is to ensure that customers get the the right funeral service at the right price.
Unfortunately, there is no catch-all database for prepaid funeral plans, which can make the search difficult. However eziFunerals can contact our member funeral directors to check if they have a prepaid funeral plan in place for your loved one. Click here to start your search.
Check the deceased’s bank statements
If our search is unsuccessful, try checking your loved one’s bank statements. You may find a record of a significant one-off payment, or of smaller, regular instalments paid to a funeral plan provider.
You could also reach out to other local funeral directors and ask whether they have a prepaid funeral plan for your loved one on their books. Be aware that funeral pre-payments should be held either within a trust fund, managed by independent trustees.
Alternatively, you may wish to start calling the companies in the list below to enquire if they are aware of any Pre-Paid Funeral contract being held in that person’s name:
- Australian Unity: 13 29 29
- Aviva Australia (previously Norwich Union): 1300 659 659
- Bendigo Bank (Australian Friendly Society): 1800 803 173 or 03 5485 7891
- Foresters Friendly Society: 03 9326 6000
- Funeral Plan Management (Lifeplan Funds Management): 1800 804 731
- Guardian Plan (InvoCare): 1800 151 158
- IOOF (VIC): 13 13 69
- KeyInvest (previously IOOF SA): 1300 658 904
- Manchester Unity (Foresters Friendly Society): 03 9326 6000
- State Trustees: 1300 138 672
- Sureplan Friendly Society: 1800 817 105
What if the funeral has already taken place?
Don’t be discouraged from trying to trace a plan if the funeral has already taken place and was paid for independently. In most cases, the prepaid funeral plan provider will still pay your claim.
However, be advised that if the service was carried out by a funeral director different to the one specified in the plan, or if it included different services and features, your claim may not cover the entire cost, due to pricing variations.
How to avoid losing your funeral plan?
eziFunerals provides the following advice to avoid your funeral plan being lost.
- Involve a family member or a friend. Having someone with you when you take out your plan will ensure they understand what is and isn’t included.
- Tell your family about your plan or any other provisions you have made towards funeral costs.
- Keep the paperwork with other important documents, so that it’s easy for your family to find.
- Let your plan provider know if you move house, so that they can keep their records up to date.
- Store your funeral plan in your private and secure vault with eziFunerals.
Need further assistance?
If you need to arrange a funeral, while you continue to locate a missing plan, then we may be able to assist. Get a quick funeral quote or apply for financial assistance.
eziFunerals supports individuals and families cope with end of life decisions, death and funerals. We are an independent, Australian-owned and operated company. We are not part of any other funeral company.
Our member Funeral Directors operate in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide and Australia wide. They are chosen for their knowledge, quality, service, personalisation and experience. They go above and beyond, and will take the time to support the family.
For more information or to make contact with a trusted Independent funeral director, call eziFunerals on 1300 236 402 or visit www.ezifunerals.com.au.