How can I buy a funeral?
Buying a funeral can be one of the the most challenging and expensive purchases you will ever make. Not only do you need to decide which funeral director to select, you also need to determine the best way to select them and what products you need.
You want to shop wisely but you also want to choose a funeral director and products that will appropriately honour your loved one. Shopping for funerals can be very hard. There are so many choices, your time may be limited, and you may have a limited budget.
Your best strategy when it comes to buying a funeral is to slow down and take a deep breath. Do your homework and remember to give yourself a break. It doesn’t matter whether you are purchasing a funeral because a death has already occurred or you are planning ahead, buying a funeral can be emotionally difficult to do on your own.
Keep the following tips in mind and don’t be hard on yourself. There is no “right” way to go about it but there are things you can do to make it a bit easier.
Buying a Funeral: Tips and Strategies
- Set a budget: As hard as it is to think about limiting your spending at such an emotional time, you don’t have to put yourself in financial stress. There are many beautiful funeral options that are reasonably priced. The difficult part is avoiding buying a funeral based on emotion. Knowing exactly how much you can comfortably spend can help.
- Ask for prices: In most states, funeral homes are required to give you a price list for the funerals they are selling. You are also entitled to see the full range of products, not just the most expensive.
- Get help: Take someone you trust with you when you shop around for funerals. It can help to have someone to talk it over with and you can compare notes.
- Shop around: If you are working with a funeral director they will offer you lots of great options. It may make sense to purchase everything through the funeral director but you need to remember that there are some things you can do yourself. Use the same shopping techniques for buying funeral products that you would use for any major purchase. Get quotes and compare funeral homes on service and price.
- Take your time: While you may be working toward a specific date for the funeral, it can be helpful to take the process slowly. If you feel pressure to make a snap decision, step back and take a few minutes to collect your thoughts. The goal is to avoid making decisions based on emotion or purchasing items that you don’t really need.
- Shop in advance: It’s not always possible to shop for a funeral ahead of time but if you can it will almost always save you money. Having extra time can make the process must less stressful and allow you the luxury of comparison shopping.
eziFunerals supports individuals and families cope with end of life decisions, death and funerals. We are an independent, Australian-owned and operated company. We are not part of any other funeral company.
Our member Funeral Directors operate in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide and Australia wide. They are chosen for their knowledge, quality, service, personalisation and experience. They go above and beyond, and will take the time to support the family.
For more information or to make contact with a trusted Independent funeral director, call eziFunerals on 1300 236 402 or visit www.ezifunerals.com.au.